SUBDIVISION APPROVAL AUTHORITY
Preliminary Plat (Towns)
WHEN: An applicant creating a number of lots defined as a subdivision in the local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance, available in the Waukesha County Code of Ordinances, Appendix D made available online and in the office of the Waukesha County Clerk.
WHY: The local and/orWaukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance requires the filing of a Preliminary Plat in accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes. Additional requirements for subdivision plats are contained in Article VIII - Chapter 14 of the Waukesha County Code of Ordinances, entitled Storm Water Management and Erosion Control.
WHO: The staff of the Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use - Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for subdivision review. See Staff Who Can Help.
HOW: A PRELIMINARY PLAT SUBMITTAL SHALL CONSIST OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Six (6) copies of the Preliminary Plat in accordance with the local and/or Waukesha County Shoreland and Floodland Subdivision Control Ordinance.
- A soils test for every lot, or a letter from the Town Clerk certifying sewer is available.
- A completed Waukesha County Department of Parks and Land Use Subdivision Plat Submittal Form.
- A “Preliminary Storm Water Review Letter” from the Land Resources Division, in accordance with the Waukesha County Storm Water Management and Erosion Control Ordinance.
- A completed Land Division Checklist.
- See Department of Parks and Land Use – Planning and Zoning Division Fee Schedule
VARIANCE OR APPEAL
- An appeal of a decision of the staff of the Planning and Zoning Division must be made to the Waukesha County Park and Planning Commission within thirty (30) days of the staff’s decision. Staff of the Planning and Zoning Division will assist you with the appeal process.
- In accordance with Section 236 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, the County has ninety (90) days from date of submittal to review the Preliminary Plat.
- The Plat shall be submitted to other agencies by either the Town or the County.
- The County and Town, which are approval agencies, may not take formal action on a Preliminary Plat until all objecting agencies have certified no objection.
- The Waukesha County Departments of Parks and Land Use and Public Works, have created a staff Development Review Team. Developers are encouraged to submit Conceptual Subdivision Plats to the Team for review and comment early in the site planning process.
- The applicant is responsible for submitting to the forwarding agency (Town or County) sufficient copies of the Plat for all reviewing agencies and Review and Fee Forms for Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA).
- A Preliminary Review by the Waukesha County Department of Public Works if the property abuts a County Trunk Highway.
- A Prelminary Plat cannot be approved without obtaining a Preliminary Storm Water Review Letter from the Land Resources Division that recommends plat approval.